Biotechnology: already known for some breakthrough therapies, it may prove to be one of the most exciting businesses in the 21st century. Its promise: medicines that could improve and save millions of lives. So far this year, biotech stocks with names like Biogen Idec, Celgene, Gilead Sciences and Amgen have been among the market leaders, especially on the Nasdaq. But, for the past two days, they’ve gotten whacked. They were down sharply on Friday, partly in response to reports an influential congressman has questioned one company’s drug pricing. They tumbled again today. The Nasdaq biotech index fell three percent just today. That had a big impact on the markets overall, which were able to close well off the lows of the session.
About NBR“Nightly Business Report produced by CNBC” (NBR) is an award-winning and highly-respected nightly business news program that airs on public television. Television’s longest-running evening business news broadcast, “NBR” features in-depth coverage and analysis of the biggest financial news stories of the day and access to some of the world’s top business leaders and policy makers.
- Nationalism on natural resources is surging, and could spell danger for commodities
- Stock futures lower after a steep sell-off on Wall Street amid surging bond yields
- Airlines are changing their flight destinations after the devastating shock of Covid
- In battle with U.S., China to focus on 7 'frontier' technologies from chips to brain-computer fusion
- Somebody hijacked Salesforce's LinkedIn account and posted support for Black Lives Matter
NBR on TwitterMy Tweets
Subscribe to RSS